We do review some books and products at the request of authors or publishers. Sometimes we offer this for free or just with a giveaway of one or two copies or items. These are usually when the book has been written by a parent or person with SEN or a disability.
Other times, if the book or product is by a company or other commercial enterprise, we charge a sponsored post fee. We have a rate card for this that can be sent on request.
We may also attach our Amazon Associates tracking code to any links to books on the Amazon UK site. This generates a small commission at no cost to the user.
We do, from time to time, run sponsored posts IF what you are promoting is in line with our mission and aims (see charging rationale below). Posts are circa 800 words and can include a link, image and embedded video, e.g, YouTube or Vimeo.
Why we charge
As a non-profit, volunteer-led social enterprise, we still need to pay overheads such as hosting fees, domain renewals, website security, publicity materials and other related costs. Until recently, these were paid our of our own pocket but as we have become more popular, we have had to take on hosting with a greater capacity, which of course, costs more.
All the money we make and any donations go to service these costs and, in time, we also hope to be able to reimburse expenses incurred in promoting the website such as attending events and parent talks that we aren't able to charge travel expenses for.
We feel very strongly that we promote someone else on our site, or on our extensive social networks that we have spent years building, this should attract recompense. So, our policy is:
- If you are a charity or non-profit and you are promoting your free services or campaign, the post and/or social media share is free of charge.
- If the charity or non-profit is promoting a paid-for service, this will attract a charge.
- If you are a parent or disabled person and have written a book about your experiences or to help others, you will be asked for a giveaway for readers of whatever it is you are promoting but no fee will be charged.
- If you are or represent a for-profit company, any sponsored posts, reviews or shares attract a charge.
- If a for-profit enterprise is giving something away for free or running a free event, we may be happy to promote it for free on our social media, although you may like to make a voluntary donation in return.
We think this is fair.
How we indicate sponsored posts
Sponsored posts or reviews will be clearly marked as such within the post. Any review will be written with integrity with an honest viewpoint, regardless of payment.
Sponsorship and support
SNJ is delighted to be supported by National Star College who have made a donation to help support the site for 2017. As a thank you, we carry a sidebar banner with a link back to their site.
If you are interested in supporting us in this way, please get in touch.
Any questions about anything above or if you are interested in finding out more about how we can help you or to see our rate card, email us.
Any and all money we make above the costs of running the site remain with the company and will be used to fund further activities and plans that help families supporting disabled children and young people [SNJ is a registered at Companies House as a non-profit Limited by Guarantee company. No: 9162844]