Big news in the SEN world this week with the draft SEN bill being published, swiftly followed by the exit from the DfE of Sarah Teather. The bill will be scrutinised by the Education Select Committee and the DfE says, will be updated as results from the pathfinders come through, whenever that may be. Over the coming weeks, views will be sought on the draft bill.
Pathfinder trials are getting underway and it's clear there is a lot of work to be done, not only in the trials but in the eventual writing of a new Code of Practice and for all local authorities in updating their SEN publications. If you're a pathfinder family, I'd be interested in hearing from you about your experiences, wherever you are.
- Special Needs Jungle: The draft SEN reform bill – some reactions on Special Needs Jungle
- DysNet: Keep Paralympic Fever going for the LimbPower Junior Games At Stoke Mandeville!
- The Independent: Schools behaving badly
- Disability Scoop: Teens With Disabilities Face High Rates Of Bullying -
- Special Needs Jungle:Draft SEN legislation published and a response to my open letter to Sarah Teather
- Chill4Us carers: Paralympians express fears over disability living allowance plans
- Nasen: Nasen response to the draft legislation on reform of provision for children with Special Educational Needs
- Global Accessibility News: Gaming Accessibility Guidelines published for people with disabilities
- Disabled World: iPod Touch Helps Adults with Autism in the Workplace
- NAS: Education update: New draft SEN legislation published
- Special Needs Jungle: Draft SEN legislation published and a response to my open letter to Sarah Teather
- Life with Katie: Our Adoption Story: Dear Mr Cameron. ow.ly/dqcgS Gem's open letter to the PM
- Emma4Facs: Thalidomide A Sorry 50 years later
- Medical News Today: A Method Designed For Detecting Certain Neurological Disorders such as ADHD Through The Study Of Eye Movements
- DownSideUp: See Hayley's gorgeous girl: The face of Disability Represented in Marketing Catalogues
- CarerWatch: Pat’s Petition – Urgent Call for Action to Save Disability Benefits and Services
- DysNet: International Limb Difference organisation offers cautious welcome to Grunenthal Thalidomide apology
- Life with an Autistic Son: The Silent Casualty