After a two week break, the Special Needs Jungle weekly curation of the best of special needs posts is BACK! I've tried to include stories I tweeted while I was away in Italy being subjected to torture by invisible mosquitos. My top holiday tip if you have teenagers like mine is to make sure your holiday home comes equipped with free wifi for those inevitable downtimes, so you are never plagues with cried of, "I'm bored!"
My boys still have another two weeks and a bit weeks off, and I intend to spend some of it taking them to our new gym, as I'm fed up of us all being locked in our little corners of the house on our respective computers (though at least I'm doing actual work). The gym is brilliant with a huge pool and great facilities, including a spa (for me, obviously) and, of course, free-wifi so that Youngest can sit pedalling the cycle machine while playing on his iPad. Well, it's a start and a compromise, but at least part of him is moving.
Have a fab August bank holiday weekend and fingers crossed for good weather if you're planning a barbecue or a last dash away! Next week - the paralympics!
- Medical News Today: Girls Who Have ADHD As Kids Are More Likely To Attempt Suicide As Adults
- Special Needs Jungle: Special Educational Needs reform update
- Guardian: Learning disability: top tips for family holidays from Emma at Net Buddy
- Guardian: Academy loses legal challenge over special needs pupils
- Disability Scoop: Autism Research Sees Explosive Growth
- Disability Scoop: Temple Grandin: Focus On Strengths, Not Weaknesses of a child with autism
- Medical News Today: Disturbing story about how a childhood Diagnosis Of ADHD Linked To More Psychological Problems Later In Life
- CYPNow: Nice launches health and wellbeing standards for children in care ow.ly/d1et7
- Special Needs Jungle: Chaos in Kent reblog: Does child protection protect children?
- Community Care: Looked-after children and mental health: Is CAMHS fit for purpose?
- Guardian: Care home procurement model fails vulnerable children
- Guardian: The Paralympics offer an even greater moral lesson - an interesting perspective from Jackie Ashley
- CDC: Check out new practical guide for families & professionals on how to use the law to fight cuts to services
- Special Needs Jungle: Free dyslexia webinars for back-to-school students - a new post on Special Needs Jungle that may help your child
- Special Needs Jungle: Parent-carer forums – why not get involved?
- Special Needs Jungle: Advice for SENCos – the parents’ perspective from Hayley Goleniowski
- CYPNow: Why disability must not be confused with disobedience - another thoughtful post from Andy Ambitious about Autism
- Telegraph: Teaching toddlers to pay attention is the key to academic success -Interesting article
- NetBuddy: Are you up to speed with the latest SEN reforms? Read our guest blog by Special Needs Jungle author Tania Tirraoro
- Psychology Today: Zinc and Autistic Spectrum Disorders interesting article
- chaosinkent: What is Person Centred Planning? from Debs at chaosinkent
- Special Needs Alliance: What Makes Autism so Uniquely Stressful? from Loud and Clear: A Special Needs Conversation