Wandering the special needs web this week, I found the following blogs and news stories you might be interested in. Also, if you think Special Needs Jungle is a "brilliant blog", I'd be super-grateful if you would please vote for www.specialneedsjungle.com in the BritMums blog awards in the CHANGE category. Thanks!
- Huff Post: Children With Autism Could Benefit From A Gluten-Free Diet, Say Experts
- Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs: Dyslexia in higher education: creating a fully inclusive institution
- North Wales Weekly News: Gogarth is best autism school in Wales
- East Valley Tribune: East Valley Voices An inspirational lady: Special education network helps parents
- CYP Now: Identify gifted children to reduce reoffending, justice staff told
- Special Needs Jungle: An EHCP meeting and exciting news - a conference speaking invitation
- Netbuddy: Blog: Tricky Moments Managing challenging behaviour
- Dyslexia Action: Quality control for dyslexia treatments
- BBC News: The Raspberry Pi computer goes on general sale
- Autism Education Trust: Take part in consultation on National Autism Standards
- Ambitious About Autism: Book your place at @AmbitiousAutism prof conference 'ABA- Beyond early intensive intervention?' 19April, London
- The Guardian: Autism: how computers can help
- Advocacy Alliance to close after losing almost all its income
- Special Needs Jungle: Labour SEN Policy Review – want to get involved?
- Times Educational Supplement: Tired ways of using TAs have come unstuck
- Telegraph: Autism: living with autistic adult children
- BBC News: Special educational needs: MPs shocked by teens' plight
- Autism Education Trust (AET): Does your teaching staff need autism training? - Training Hub
Latest posts by Tania Tirraoro (see all)
- WEBINAR RECORDING: Will the SEND Improvement Plan fix provision for disabled children and young people? - March 16, 2023
- Can you legislate for love? The Government’s plans for children’s social care aims to - February 3, 2023
- Don’t make it harder to get EHCPs warns Equality and Human Rights Commission as DfE considers “raising the bar” - January 26, 2023
Great round-up and I know just where to share it 🙂
We are looking for a new placement for my son but need to get the right placement this time after what my family and son have been through (please see below) and I would like your help. To enable us to make the correct decision we need to ask the right questions. Would anybody have a list of
relevant questions we could use.
My son is extremely vulnerable. He has non verbal communication, very complex, severely autistic,highly sensory, has a complete global disposition of the world around him, is epileptic and totally reliant on the people who look after him. He is currently on a 52 week residential but sadly it has not worked out for him. There has been a recent alleged assault and in the past 2 years we have had to raise some serious issues with this Residential.
At the school previous to this he was also assaulted, which ended up in Crown Court.
We need a 52 week Residential School in the UK that is safe, and could meet our son’s needs as above.
We really must get the next place right, with trained and skilled people, to ensure our son is not at risk again. We are looking for a place that preferably has an outstanding Ofsted.