A diverse list of stories and posts this week, but all interesting reads. As ever, leave your own story link in the comments if you've written or spotted something interesting that's not mentioned here.
On a purely personal note, thank you so much to anyone who nominated me for the BritMums awards. I may have mentioned (just) a few times that the Special Needs Jungle blog has been shortlisted! It's one of 20 blogs in the 'CHANGE' category and now needs votes to go through to the final stages. If you have time, I'd be really grateful if you could help it along. It's in section 3, number 15 at this link.
And after that quick promo, here's the special needs story round up:
- Telegraph: Gary McKinnon 'mentally fit enough to be extradited', claims report
- Not As Advertised: Are your kids getting out enough? Read Youngest 's salutary tale of Vitamin D deficiency!
- Southport Visiter: Family hoping to raise £12,000 to pay for Southport man’s Autism programme in America
- Contact A Family: Information about claiming DLA for children - a pdf
- Disability Scoop: DSM Committee Standing Firm On Autism Changes
- ITworld: Institute helps autistic programmers build mobile apps
- Love All Blogs: Lots of interesting posts on the Love Blogs special needs showcase this week
- Special Needs Jungle: Conversations with an Aspie teen... Share yours in the comments on the SNJ blog
- Bolton News: Son needing special school ‘is being failed by system’
- NAS Education update: Children’s Minister, Sarah Teather MP gives evidence to APPGA
- NYTimes.com: Asperger's, Autism and Learning to Drive
- Businessweek: Outsourcing to the Autistic Rather Than to India
- Wordswell: About the SEN Conference: Towards a Positive Future 16th June 2012
- DfE: Almost 400,000 pupils miss at least a month of school
- Belfast Telegraph: Northern Ireland: Teachers feel snubbed at lack of consultation on special needs changes
- Special Needs Jungle: Shortlisted for BritMums award – Why SNJ is all about CHANGE
- Guardian Teacher Network Blog: Engaging SEN pupils through film
- Ambitious About Autism: Countdown to Ambitious Film Club launch online film festival
- PR Newswire: Elsevier Launches New Journal: Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
- Medical News Today: Discovery Of Biomarkers For Autism Could Lead To Diagnostic Test
- Government E-Petition: Ring fence money for people with learning disabilities - e-petition started by Rosa Monckton
- Special Needs Jungle: Cambian launches Specialist Education Scholarships for children with Asperger’s or autism in their schools
- SAGE: Limited time FREE access to SAGE - Special Education News articles
- School Refuser: Emotionally Based School Refusal - Somerset Council Guide
Latest posts by Tania Tirraoro (see all)
- WEBINAR RECORDING: Will the SEND Improvement Plan fix provision for disabled children and young people? - March 16, 2023
- Can you legislate for love? The Government’s plans for children’s social care aims to - February 3, 2023
- Don’t make it harder to get EHCPs warns Equality and Human Rights Commission as DfE considers “raising the bar” - January 26, 2023
You must log in to post a comment.