Another week of rain and economic gloom. Note to self, stop listening to the Radio 4 Today programme, it's starting your day off ALL wrong.
Still there is some good news for me, anyway: I've been asked to take part in a Dragon's Den/Apprentice type thingy for young people. Apparently, I'm an inspirational business expert. When I told Son1, he snorted with derision. Now I'm going to spend the next few weeks feeling like a total fraud. I said yes, of course, because my message to those young people will be to embrace opportunities when they come- both to help yourself and to help others.
Anyway, happy weekend and here's my pick of the posts and special needs news from the last week.
- Special Needs Jungle: If ‘child centred’ help is a no-brainer, why isn’t it happening?
- Ambitious About Autism: Ambitious about Autism helps create leaflet about mental capacity issues
- Mumsnet: Q&A with Sharon Hodgson, Shadow Minister for Children and Families on Mumsnet
- Bury Free Press: Autistic teen was ‘failed by system’ > another tragic story and lack of provision
- Kat's Cafe: ‘I Wish I Didn’t Have Aspergers’:#AutismPositivity2012
- Carers UK: new figures show cost of families forced to give up work to care reaches £1.3bn
- The Voice: Voice comments on scholarship scheme for SEN support staff :: Voice The Union
- The Guardian: Imagine the hell faced by our most vulnerable children, prime minister by Camila Batmanghelidjh
- Special Needs Jungle: Advocates For Children – a FREE SEN legal advocacy charity. If you missed this yesterday, here's the link again
- DSE International: Landmark research study shows targeted intervention improves reading & language skills of children with Down syndrome
- Informa Healthcare: Where to with treatment for ADHD?, Current Medical Research and Opinion, Informa Healthcare
- Autism and Empathy: Theory of War
- Thirty Days of Autism: ‘I Wish I Didn’t Have Aspergers’: a letter to my son for AutismPositivity2012
- Funding Announced For Autism in Waleshttp://ow.ly/aB3dP
- Aspie n the Family: Autism and sleeping from Aspie in the familyow.ly/aAvcY @MumForAutism
- Sky Badger: Free cash for disabled students inc. dyslexics! dld.bz/avmmF Disabled student's allowance.
- FooDee: Autism and restaurants - my first experience with discrimination - FooDee
- Sky Badger: Autism holidays in France.no need to apologise
- BBC News - Bullied 'more prone to self harm'
- WEBINAR RECORDING: Will the SEND Improvement Plan fix provision for disabled children and young people? - March 16, 2023
- Can you legislate for love? The Government’s plans for children’s social care aims to - February 3, 2023
- Don’t make it harder to get EHCPs warns Equality and Human Rights Commission as DfE considers “raising the bar” - January 26, 2023
Can I please add my blog to your collection, it’s bluecrisps.wordpress.com
You’re on it now!
Thanks so much for include the Cafe in your list! I’d love to have you take part in the Autism Awareness in Action Campaign too – You can find the link from my homepage (don’t want to spam you here!)
In any case I’m so happy to see your site (I LOVE your background – I might have to do something like that – I LOVE it, really!) and I’m adding you to my own RSS list now *grin*)
Um — please completely overlook my typo *head desk* I’m so embarrassed *smile*
I’ll have a look!