So, er, I'll just mention it one more time - Special Needs Jungle WON the CHANGE award in the BritMums Brilliance in Blogging awards last Friday evening. Wowser! I've never won anything before - certainly nothing big cheese like this. I spent the first few mornings waking up saying.. I won!.. in an incredulous sort of way. Thanks to BritMums and to everyone who passed on their congratulations.
I've been smiling all week - even more so because the day after, Son1 won the Chairman's Player of Year award at his football clubs. This is even more fantastic than anything I've won because five years ago, he would have spent most the a match sulking on the sidelines and now he's the most valuable player - all thanks to the fact he's worked hard at his social skills at his specialist school. Well done Luca!
Anyway, on to the week's stories. Special Needs Jungle's had some important posts this week - the first from Charlie Mead, child psychologist about Children in Care. Thanks to all who shared it. And my post on Wednesday - an open letter to Sarah Teather has had a lot of positive reaction, though nothing, predictably from the recipient herself. But there's still time, Miss T, to address those issues raised.
Great posts too from Claire Louise at A Boy With Asperger's and from Kat's Cafe and Looking for Blue Sky, lovely ladies all. Tomorrow we'll have Claire's write up of the free schools event she went to for SNJ. She's a cracker, our Claire and it was fab to finally meet her at BritMums. We did a lot of cackling. Great also to meet Lyndsay and Gemma who both have fab blogs too.
- A Boy with Asperger's blog: School Gate Ignorance
- A boy with Asperger's: Please let me come too a heart wrenching post
- Chill4Us Carers: Hidden carers miss out on £1,000s in benefits help
- Daily Post: Flintshire mum’s fight to raise awareness of son’s raredisease This is my cousin's son
- National Autistic Society: Make sure people with autism don't miss out under changes to DLA.Respond to consultation using our easy online form
- CYP Now: Young people with mental health problems say stigma has led them to 'give up'
- Special Needs Jungle: Dear Miss Teather, an open letter about the pace of SEN reform.
- Kat's Cafe: Healthy Living and Special Needs Parenting - My Journey Begins
- Nano Patents and Innovations: Special Needs Jungle named in 40 Best Blogs for Special Needs Parents!
- Psych Central News: Rare Genetic Illness May Shed Light on Role of Hormones in Autism, Anxiety
- CYP Now: Cameron’s welfare proposals will 'remove safety net' for families in need
- BBC: Brain trace 'can detect autism'
- Special Needs Jungle: Children in Care in a careless society – Please READ and SHARE!
- Looking for Blue Sky: Dear So and So: A special post for carers week
- Special Needs Jungle: SNJ a WINNER in BritMums Brilliance in Blogging Awards!
- BBC News - Autism: Child diagnosis in Wales can take seven years ow.ly/bMay2
- NAS Education update: MPs report on SEN system for children with autism
- Chaos, mistrust, poor inclusion, and no communication: How Kent’s SEND provision has failed its disabled children and their families - November 10, 2022
- Ofsted and ONS offer further evidence that lack of funding, training and specialists damages children with SEND - November 8, 2022
- No specialists = No support: The future for children with SEND is bleak without a trained workforce to support them - November 3, 2022