Where do we stand legally if we ask our employer for flexible working arrangements?

Parent Asks:

Our little boy is moving from mainstream to special school at the end of February. My husband works for the council and is putting in a request for flexible working, to facilitate either dropping him at school or being at home to meet the transport. He is asking to start at 9 am each day, rather than 7.45 am. Where do we stand legally, if his employer refuses the request? There is no ‘breakfast club’ at the special school and we cannot afford not to work. I am a Headteacher, so I need to be in school before he would be collected.

IPSEA Answers:

Unfortunately, employment law is outside of IPSEA’s remit, but you may find the following links useful:



If your son will be receiving home-to-school transport, you could request that he is collected and dropped off at a different address from your home, such as a family member, childminder or one of your workplaces, if appropriate. You should be able to find your LA’s transport policy on the Local Offer online, and you can find more information about transport here: Children of compulsory school age (aged 5 to 16) | (IPSEA) Independent Provider of Special Education Advice