At times of crisis, accurate information is vital. With so much Coronavirus information flying around, we want to ensure you can easily access the information you need to make the best decisions for your family
On this page, we have collated all the official Coronavirus information we know of relevance to families who have members with special educational needs and disabilities. We've included our own articles about Coronavirus and other articles from reliable sources. We will endeavour to keep this page updated as the days go by. You can help us by sending us any additional useful, official or informational articles you have seen, that are helpful for SEND families.
If you have a child with an EHCP, the official guidance is that a school will be available, but if you can safely keep your child at home, it is preferable to do so. Most of all, to you all, we hope you stay safe.
SNJ posts about Coronavirus
- Updated Notice extending the changes: http://ow.ly/Do8z30qKPwq https://twitter.com/SpcialNdsJungle/status/1266427866004193280
- Coronavirus: EHCP laws temporarily "relaxed" as LAs told to just do their best
- Care in a time of coronavirus (ii): Using health direct payments to pay family members for care
- Coronavirus Lockdown with kids: Setting a steady pace for home learning
- Distance education resources for children and young people with SEND
- Coronavirus and SEND law: Part 4 What does my child’s EHCP still provide?
- Coronavirus: School, attendance and exclusions. Your legal questions answered, part 3
- Coronavirus and SEND law: Your Questions Answered (part two – Timescales)
- Coronavirus and SEND law: Your questions answered (part one - Tribunals) Hayley Mason
- Care in a time of Coronavirus: Using direct payments to pay family members for care -Steve Broach
- Steve Broach, Public Law Barrister on the Coronavirus Bill’s implications for disabled children
- The curious decision to keep disabled children at school despite the Coronavirus crisis -Tania Tirraoro
- Calming Coronavirus anxiety in children (and everyone else)- Angela Kelly
Official sources Coronavirus information
- Updated guidance for school exclusion during the Coronavirus disruptions (29/5/20)
- What parents and carers need to know about schools and other education settings during the coronavirus outbreak
- Guidance and advice about coronavirus (COVID-19) in educational settings for staff, parents and carers, pupils and students.
- Guidance (non statutory): Education, health and care needs assessments and plans: guidance on temporary legislative changes relating to coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Letter from SEND Minister, Vicky Ford and Care Minister, Helen Whately about the changes
- The Special Educational Needs and Disability (Coronavirus) (Amendment) Regulations 2020
- This explanatory memorandum to The Special Educational Needs and Disability (Coronavirus) (Amendment) Regulations 2020
- Coronavirus Act 2020 Modification of section 42 of the Children and Families Act 2014 (England) Notice 2020
- Disapplication notice: school attendance legislation changes
- Disapplication notice: school inspections legislation changes
- The NHS visitor guidance has been updated (8.4.20) - visiting someone who you support where your absence would cause distress is one of the exceptions to the suspension of all visiting
- COVID-19: guidance for the public on mental health and wellbeing, including a link to an easy-read version.
- COVID-19: providing unpaid care to adults with learning disabilities and autistic adults
- Advice for people with direct payments, as well as info for LAs, CCGs and care providers
- Help children with SEND continue their education during coronavirus (COVID-19) DfE advice for parents and carers looking after children with special educational needs and disabilities
- Extra support for schools and parents to help cope with coronavirus. The Government has announced a package of support, including additional funding and high-quality resources, to help schools deal with the challenges posed by coronavirus.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): SEND risk assessment guidance
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance for children’s social care services
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): implementing social distancing in education and childcare settings- new guidance
- The Remote Access Family Court: COVID-19 (coronavirus) | Courts and Tribunals Judiciary
- Isolation guidance for residential educational settings
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): guidance on vulnerable children and young people
- The NHS has launched an interactive service here to find out what to do if you think you have symptoms.
- Latest Government advice
- Free school meals guidance,
- Coronavirus action plan: a guide to what you can expect across the UK
- COVID 19: National Guidance for the Family Court: Message from President of the Family Divison | Courts and Tribunals Judiciary
- Routine Ofsted inspections suspended in response to coronavirus
- New adult social care guidance to protect the most vulnerable against COVID-19 (14/3/20)
- COVID-19: residential care, supported living and home care guidance
- Read the Coronavirus Bill here
- Coronavirus bill: summary of impacts
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): cancellation of GCSEs, AS and A levels in 2020
- Closure of educational settings: information for parents and carers
- Guidance for schools, colleges and local authorities on maintaining educational provision - key worker and vulnerable child list
- Ofsted: coronavirus (COVID-19) rolling update
- COVID-19: guidance for educational settings
- Isolation guidance for residential educational settings: The Government has issued guidance to confirm which residential settings they consider a household and how to manage isolation.
Important Tweets to note
Department for Education helpline
The Department for Education (DfE) helpline (see below) offers guidance for anyone with education-related questions on coronavirus – from early years up to universities, plus parents. Tel: 0800 046 8687 (open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm), DfE.email@example.com
Trustworthy Coronavirus information articles from other sources
- Include Me Too COVID- 19 Information & Resources hospital passport - WHIS
- Recording/slides now available for recent webinar on implications of #CoronavirusAct on education, social care & #MentalHealth Act. With Fenella Morris QC, Victoria Butler-Cole QC & @SteveBroach who've worked closely on the legislation. ow.ly/KcZS50z6muo
- IPSEA update on COVID-19, school closures and SEN provision
- Coronavirus impact on EHC plans and children with special educational needs - Coram
- Coronavirus and UK schools closures: Support and advice for schools and parents/carers (British Psychological Society)
- The Coronavirus Bill, social care & SEN | Luke Clements
- COVID-19 Information For Parents And Carers - WellChild
- 39 Essex Chambers | The Coronavirus Bill – Schedule 11 | 39 Essex Chambers | Barristers' Chambers
- Benefits and Coronavirus - Turn2us
- Homemade hand sanitiser recipes that could help protect against coronavirus, from Bioscientists at Royal Holloway University of London
Letter from Emma Hardy MP about concerns over SEND legal changes
Commons Education Committee COVID19 Inquiry
The Commons Education Select Committee has launched an inquiry into how the #Coronavirusoutbreak is affecting the education sector & children’s social care. It'll scrutinise how the Department for Education is dealing with the situation. More here:
SEND minister, Vicky Ford Letter
Join the SNJ “Patron” Squad & get exclusive content!
Become a Patron!
- Your Squad Patrons' EXCLUSIVE August SEND update Newsletter is coming soon! If you're a patron and you haven't received it check your spam. No joy? Get in touch.