An incredibly busy week, so I missed my Wednesday post as I was in Brussels to speak at a EURORDIS workshop on social media for rare disease organisations. I was describing how we set up the social media for DysNet, the new Limb Difference Network for which I am PR & Community Manager.
It was a really interesting and exhilarating day, hearing from other organisations such as Bee For Battens, a charity set up by a family who are dealing with the loss of one child and the illness of another with Batten's Disease. As is so often the case, such terrible adversity and tragedy prompts some people not to hide away but to reach out and help others in a similar position.
We hear so often today about greedy bankers, self-interested politicians and welfare cuts to the most vulnerable. We hear nowhere near enough about people who, despite their own difficulties, put their energies into offering care and support to those in need. These are the inspirational people that newspapers should highlight on a daily basis - it would, I believe, have a positive effect on the nation as a whole.
And so... I've been busy, but not too busy for the ever-popular Friday round-up. Please do read my post about launching DysNet and another inspirational person, Geoff Adams-Spink, if you missed it earlier in the week. Enjoy the sun!
- Autism Journal: The impact of child problem behaviors of children with ASD on parent mental health
- The Guardian: Academies' refusal to admit pupils with special needs prompts legal battles
- MedPage Today: Half of Autism Diagnoses Made at School Age
- MedPage Today: Sleep Apnea Hurts Kids' Brain Function
- Disability Rights UK: Our reponse responds to Department for Education’s publication of Support and aspiration
- Express: Teachers 'use special needs' to boost score Note: misleading headline - the SEN expert actually speaks some sense
- Guardian: Children with special needs deserve better than a rush to reform
- NewsTrack: Oxytocin improves brain function in autistic kids
- Special Needs Jungle: Launching DysNet - and how the right education helped one man make a difference, despite disability
- Daily Mail: Why are doctors still not warning about the 'new Thalidomide'? Follow @Emma4oacs for raise awareness
- Special Needs Jungle: Don't Forget: Still time to enter the draw to WIN a FREE ticket for #autism treatment: Floortime workshop!
- BritMums: Great monthly special needs blog round up
- Nina Lemon: Raising Cariad: A parent's view of the SEN announcement this week
- A Boy with Aspergers: SEN Reform Aspirations – You Decide! A nice blog from the lovely @Clairelouise82
- DfE: SEN offer for parents.A YouTube Video by Sarah Teather
- Ed Yourself: My response to DfE document also signposting to DfE consultation on changes to funding inc SEN funding
Latest posts by Tania Tirraoro (see all)
- Join the SNJ Squad as a “Patron” and get exclusive content! - July 12, 2019
- Know your child’s rights to social care support - July 9, 2019
- All rise! SEND figures go up in 2019 - July 5, 2019