It's been something of an eventful week for both Special Needs and Special Needs Jungle. Last week, I was called up by a reporter from the Daily Telegraph to ask my views on whether I thought one in five schoolchildren really had special needs. We had a good chat and the article appeared on Saturday. It was followed by a barrage of comments online on the DT, often displaying the most moronic and ignorant views-- not aimed at me, but at vulnerable children. As the paper didn't really reflect the crux of what I had said, I wrote a blog post the same day that attracted much more thoughtful comments (thank goodness) from people who actually have opinions worth reading.
Then, the detailed response to the SEN Green Paper came. I was called up by Christine Alsford from Meridian TV, my ITV region and they came over and spoke to me about it, even filming Youngest in his bright blue BodySox. (See post below with the footage).
On Wednesday, I went to an EHCP meeting for the Surrey pathfinder where, after the government announcement the previous day, there was understandably something of a sense of urgency and alarm at the accelerated deadline. The new lead, Susie Campbell, however, appears more than up to the task. Actually, I think she's fab.
And so, understandably, this week's stories are mostly about the Next Steps document and the response to it - all worth reading to see different perspectives.
And if you missed my guest post about Floortime for autism - there's a free parent ticket and a cut price professional ticket for a June workshop on offer - check out the post below.
- NAS: NAS response to SEN Green Paper: Don’t let children without statements fall through the gaps
- Dyslexia Action: Response to SEN Reform proposals ow.ly/aYSSy
- Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability: How much does intellectual disability really cost? First estimates for Australia
- Seventh Voice Blog: Standing Up For Special Needs Children
- BBC: Special needs budgets: Your views from BBCwebsite
- Special Needs Jungle: SEN – The Next Steps – My views & Meridian Tonight feature
- Surrey & Hants News: Inspired mum in the spotlight with blogging awards acclaim.
- Developmental Neurorehabilitation: From my perspective – Perceived participation in mainstream schools in students with autism spectrum conditions
- Special Needs Jungle: The benefits of 'Floortime' for autism - and win tickets to a Floortime workshop!
- John Bald Blog: Parents to control SEN budgets - a great idea - John Bald telling it like it is on SEN
- Daily Telegraph: Thousands to be struck off special needs list-
- Disability Scoop: Path To Adulthood Rocky For Most With Autism, Study Finds
- The Guardian: Autism causes profound problems. Why are doctors reluctant to diagnose?
- Special Needs Jungle: Special Needs Jungle in the Daily Telegraph. What I really think about parenting and SEN
- Daily Telegraph: Can 20 per cent of schoolchildren really have special needs? - -- Special Needs Jungle in the DT today!
- Ombudsman report says councils are “standing in the way of support” by failing to offer personal budgets during the EHCP process - November 24, 2023
- 10 reasons the Change Programme might fail, by experts from across the SEND sector - October 27, 2023
- For children with SEND and their parents, a compassionate teacher is key - October 20, 2023