Today's SNJ in Conversation is offering tips for everyone interested in improving SEND teaching. While schools are still on their summer break, thoughts will be turning towards going back in September and how to effectively manage social distancing, bubbles and helping children catch up.
But as our survey evidenced, children with SEND are more likely to have missed out on learning. It's more important than ever for school staff to educate themselves in how to support children with additional needs, or children who just learn differently. And that includes the school senior leadership team.
As director of Whole School SEND, Anne Heavey explained here, they have produced a whole suite of fantastic SEND learning resources, all co-produced with parents (including me). In our latest episode of SNJ in Conversation, Anne is back with me, and we're joined by SNJ columnist, Hannah Moloney, expert SENCO and Dyslexia specialist to discuss the state of SEND training. The discussion includes an incredibly interesting "potted history" of SEND and why training in the UK is so far behind that in some other countries.
Find SNJ in Conversation on your favourite service
Watch on Youtube
- Find all episodes of SNJ in Conversation
- Improving SEND provision: Co-produced resources for the whole school
- SNJ in Conversation: Oak Academy’s improving SEND offer
- Coronavirus and SEND Education: 75% of schools ignored Government risk assessment guidance during the lockdown
- SENCO basics: My research defining the role of the modern SENCO
- Identifying SEND in the Early Years: Partnership and collaboration is key
- School leadership and SEND ignorance
- The role of the SENCO: what do you need to know?
- The devastating impact of the SENCo workload
- Coronavirus: Managing risk to get our special school ready for reintegration
Join the SNJ “Patron” Squad & get exclusive content!
Become a Patron!
- Your Squad Patrons' EXCLUSIVE February SEND update Newsletter is out now! If you're a patron and you haven't received it check your spam. No joy? Get in touch.
Don’t miss a thing!
- #ProvisionDenied Return to School SEND Legal Webinar *recording + questions answered* - March 5, 2021
- Poor advice for Post-16: Why Katie & Harvey Price’s long hunt for a suitable college is far from unique - March 2, 2021
- Free back-to-school legal WEBINAR! What to do if your child’s SEND education rights are denied when schools fully-reopen - February 25, 2021