Moving to a new area

< All Topics

Moving to a new area

Parent Question:

Once you've had a post-16 transition review from Statement to EHC Plan and a school is named and young person starts on that new school, if the family move to another borough would the new borough have to accept the school named or they have the right to re-assess and offer another school?

ipsea answers

IPSEA Answers:

Unfortunately if you move LA then the “new” responsible LA does not have to accept a school/college previously agreed by a different LA. They can do so if they chose- if they agree it is still the nearest suitable school/ college placement. But they also have the option of carrying out a reassessment of the young person’s needs and naming a different school/college.