WEBINAR: What to do if your child's SEND education rights are denied when schools fully-reopen
When: Monday March 1st
What time: 8pm
Cost: FREE, but register quickly, places limited
Our detailed survey of over a thousand parents of children and young people with SEND, found a widespread failure to restore SEND provision at all levels last September, with many disabled children were prevented from returning to school at all.
We don't want that to happen again. While we've made 45 recommendations for schools and government, we're not naïve enough to think all schools will even see them, let alone take any notice. We're not the only ones to think along these lines. Barristers, Alice Irving and Steve Broach have asked us to help put on a webinar with SEND legal experts, including our own columnist, solicitor Hayley Mason.
I know this is very short notice, but we wanted to get this information to you before school starts and in time to speak to your child's school or local authority. Please do also take the time to read our report (pdf) as this show you our recommendations and what you can suggest to their school as easy-wins for everyone.
What's it about & who's involved?
Then our panel of SEND legal experts will discuss what to do if you, your child or young person are being denied their EHCP provision, or are being prevented from returning to school. They are:
- Steve Broach (39 Essex Chambers) who will chair the webinar
- Alice Irving (Doughty Street Chambers) will provide a rundown of the law and current guidance.
- Education Solicitor and SNJ legal columnist Hayley Mason (SEN Legal) and
- Education solicitor Gregg Burrough (Coram Children’s Legal Centre) will both consider the practicalities of challenging a failure of provision.
There will be time for Q&A, although panellists will not be able to provide advice on specific cases.
This is a free webinar but places are limited so please don't delay with registering. Click the button below or this link
Please do share this with other parents.
Don’t miss a thing!
Don’t miss any posts from SNJ - simply add your email address below. You must click the link in the confirmation email you’ll receive to activate your free subscription.
You can also keep up with us by following our WhatsApp Channel!
Want more? Be an SNJ Patron!
SNJ is a non-profit company and everyone who writes here does so voluntarily. We need your support to help us with costs by donating once or as a regular patron. Regular donors get an exclusive SEND update newsletter as thanks! Find out more here
- Ombudsman report says councils are “standing in the way of support” by failing to offer personal budgets during the EHCP process - November 24, 2023
- 10 reasons the Change Programme might fail, by experts from across the SEND sector - October 27, 2023
- For children with SEND and their parents, a compassionate teacher is key - October 20, 2023